Updated Nov 2, 2021
During the COVID-19 pandemic, for guidance on research and travel (e.g. research, conferences, workshops), please review to the Guidance on Research and Travel During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Please follow your unit/department internal processes for approval.
Given that Global Affairs Canada has lifted the world-wide “avoid non-essential” travel advisory, as of November 3, 2021 university sanctioned activities abroad can now resume for U of T students for countries and regions that are listed at “exercise normal security precautions” and “exercise a high degree of caution”. Please follow the instructions and pre-departure steps as indicated on the Safety Abroad Student’s page well in advance of your travel abroad. Please contact the Safety Abroad Office (email@example.com) if you have questions or you are a student traveling abroad. For additional updates from the university related to COVID-19, please visit the VP Students COVID-19 FAQ page.
In addition to reviewing with the Guidance on Research and Travel During the COVID-19 Pandemic, please also note the following:
- For research with a face-to-face component (on- or off-campus), please complete and submit the Face-to-Face (F2F) Human Participant Research Form. For more information, please refer to: Review Of Face-To-Face Human Participant and Off-Campus Research and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Research FAQ.
- For off-campus research without a face-to-face (F2F), researchers may choose to complete the Off-Campus Safety Planning Record (Risk Assessment).*
- For off-campus non-research activities (e.g. academic field trip), please complete the Off-Campus Safety Planning Record (Risk Assessment).*
*This form is designed to guide units in assessing potential risks (COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 hazards). Non-COVID-19 hazards may include chemical and biological agents, remote travel, wild life, equipment/tools, etc.
Additional Guidelines contain detailed guidance for planning field research and implementing the requirements for reasonable care.
- Framework on Off-Campus Safety (PDF)
- Guidelines on Safety in Field Research (PDF)
- Off-Campus Safety Guidelines, Sections A to G (PDF)
- During COVID-19, please refer to the VPRI COVID-19 Research. FAQ page and the VP Students FAQ page for more information.
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) Research Re-start and Recovery Application Process.
- For Workplace Safety Insurance Board (WSIB) questions, please contact Health and Well-Being Programs and Services.