Report an Incident

Reporting of Accidents, Incidents and Occupational Illnesses

These procedures outline the reporting requirements for accidents, occupational illnesses and incidents which result in or have the potential to result in personal injury or property damage. Where applicable, departments are responsible for reviewing the incident, determining the contributing factors and completing follow-up actions (if applicable) to prevent re-occurrence. Depending on the incident, other UofT departments (e.g. facilities) may be involved in the incident investigation/follow up actions. If you have any questions, please contact EHS ( The incident report will also be reviewed by EHS and the department may be contact if there are further questions or recommendations.

Reportable incidents are those which:

  • result in personal injury or lost time from work (including those requiring first aid, and occupational illness);
  • have the potential to result in personal injury or property damage even though no injury or damage actually occurred;
  • occur to any person on university premises;
  • occur to a university employee during the course of his/her work either on or off university premises;
  • occur to a student during the course of his/her classroom, laboratory or field work;
  • occur to a student during the course of a work placement (either paid or unpaid) which forms part of their university curriculum.
  • the above applies to incidents that occur outside of Ontario. If you will be working outside of Ontario for more than 6 months, you must contact the Health & Well-being Office at 416.978.2149 to extend your WSIB coverage.

Reporting of Accidents/Incidents Involving Employees

Employees include all full-time, part-time, sessional, casual employees and graduate teaching assistants when they are performing their duties as teaching assistants.

Online e-form for Reporting Incidents Involving Employees

  1. All employees must report the accident/incident to their supervisor or home department immediately. On the day of the incident, the employer is responsible for providing and paying for immediate transportation to a hospital, health professional office/clinic or the worker’s home (if necessary) and for paying for full wages and benefits for the day or shift on which the injury occurred.
  2. Within 24 hours, the supervisor must complete and submit the “Online Accident/Incident eForm for Employees“.
  3. Please ensure you have all of the required information available.
  4. Where supervisors are unable to fully complete the form within 24 hours, the form, should still be sent, with the missing information to follow later. Use “not available” for missing information that is required.
  5. The WSIB Administrator in Health and WellBeing is responsible for all liaison with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board and for the ongoing follow-up of claims. For assistance or information with respect to any claim contact the Health & Well-being Office at 416.978.2149.


Reporting of accidents and occupational illnesses involving death, critical injury, lost time or health care (by a medical practitioner) is required for employees under both the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act. Reporting of Accidents to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) is done centrally through the WSIB Administrator, Health and Wellbeing Programs and Services.

The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board levies a fine of $250 for late reporting of a lost time or health care claim. Where this late reporting is a result of the failure of a department to report the accident to the WSIB Administrator, Health and Wellbeing, the department will be responsible for paying the fine.  In addition to the above legal reporting requirements, the University requires the reporting of all accidents to any person, whether or not a personal injury is involved.

Reporting of Accidents/Incidents Involving Students, Contractors and Visitors

Students and visitors include all non-employees present or working in University workplaces. These include undergraduate students, graduate students (except when performing TA duties, when they are employees), visitors and members of the general public.

Online e-form for Reporting Incidents Involving Students, Contractors and Visitors

1. All non-employees involved in an incident/accident must report the event to a University of Toronto contact. 2. Within 24 hours, the University of Toronto contact must complete and submit the “Online Accident/Incident eForm for Students, Contractors and Visitors“. 3. Please ensure you have all the required information available.

Reporting of Accidents Involving Students on Unpaid Work Placements

Students who are required to participate in unpaid work placements with an external employer as a part of a requirement for their degree are eligible for coverage through the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board should they suffer a work-related accident or illness. The exception to this is students who are performing unpaid research at the University. The latter are not covered by Workers’ Compensation. The coverage for students on unpaid work placements is funded by the Ministry of Education and Training (MET) and not by the placement employer or the University of Toronto.

Note that students do not have coverage if:

  • an accident occurs during the in-class portion of training programs,
  • the student, on his/her own initiative, volunteers services to an employer to develop marketable skills,
  • the student is on the employer’s premises for the purpose of visiting, casual observation, and there there is no participation in the activities of the placement employer’s industry.

For more information, follow this link or to receive an information package with the required forms, contact the Health and Well-being Office at 416.978.2149.

Reporting of Death or Critical Injury

The definition of a critical injury applies to “any person” which includes workers, students, contractors and visitors. A critical injury is defined as an injury of a serious nature that:

  • places life in jeopardy
  • produces unconsciousness
  • results in substantial loss of blood
  • involves the fracture of a leg or arm, but not a finger or toe
  • involves the amputation of a leg, arm, hand or foot, but not a finger or toe
  • consists of burns to a major portion of the body, or
  • causes the loss of sight in an eye.

In addition to the reporting requirements outlined above, all critical injuries or fatalities must be immediately reported to the Ministry of Labour.  Supervisors are therefore responsible for taking the following steps:

  • procure immediate medical attention at 9.911
  • notify the University of Toronto Police at 978.2222 for the St. George Campus and Scarborough Campus, or 905.569.4333 for Mississauga.
  • notify the Office of Environmental Health and Safety at 416.978.4467 (who will liaise with the Ministry of Labour)
  • notify the Health & Well-Being Programs & Services at 416.978.8804
  • notify the appropriate joint health and safety committee for the workplace,
  • if the injured person is an employee, notify the appropriate union (if any),
  • ensure that the site of the accident remains undisturbed until a Ministry of Labour inspector has arrived, and
  • investigate and prepare a written report on the circumstances of the accident.