See also University of Toronto Fire Prevention Services
Fire Emergency Procedures
In case of fire:
|Close the door
as you leave
at any exit).
Do NOT use
|Report the fire.|
When you hear the fire alarm:
- Evacuate the building via the nearest exit.
- Do NOT use elevators.
- Keep clear of the building to permit emergency access.
- Do not re-enter until authorized by Fire Officer.
- It is MANDATORY for University buildings to be evacuated during any fire alarm.
- Report all fires, no matter how small, to the University Emergency Control Centre, Local 82222.
- Report the smell of smoke of undetermined origin to the University Emergency Control Centre:416.978.2222 – St. George Campus; 416.978.2222 – Scarborough Campus; 905.828.5200 – Mississauga Campus
- Attempt to extinguish the fire only if you can do so safely.
- Familiarize yourself with the location of fire exits and fire extinguishers in your area.
Fire Emergency Procedures for Mobility-Impaired Persons
When the Fire Alarm sounds, do the following:
- If on the ground floor, exit by the normal means.
- If above or below the ground floor:
- Notify the Campus Emergency Control Centre
416.978.2222 – St. George Campus
416.978.2222 – Scarborough Campus
905.828.5200 – Mississauga Campus
- Tell the campus police dispatcher that the fire alarm in your building is sounding and you are mobility impaired and cannot leave your floor area. If you smell smoke, or are in immediate danger, inform the dispatcher.
- Give your exact location, including floor and room number.
- Give your phone number from which you are calling. Your information will be relayed to emergency response personnel who are en route or on scene. Toronto Fire Services will facilitate your evacuation if your safety is compromised.
- Remain by the phone. In the conditions at your location deteriorate (any increased danger or hazard), call the dispatcher immediately with an update.