To assist JHSCs with workplace inspections, here are some tips for planning and completing an inspection:
Before the workplace inspection:
- Review which area(s) are due for inspection per the annual inspection schedule located in your respective JHSC’s Workplace Inspection Tracker.
- Arrange for access through the occupants (i.e., Business Manager), Property Manager, local security, or Campus Safety.
- Send Notice of Inspection to occupants which can be through the JHSC co-chairs or the building’s property manager.
- Floorplans can be made available through the occupant, Property Manager or by contacting EHS.
- EHS created a JHSC Workplace Inspection Checklist which can be used as a guide.
- Whether you are taking notes physically or digitally, make sure you bring the appropriate tools (e.g. notebook, clipboard, etc.) to conduct the inspection and take notes. A phone is a great device to utilize for taking photos of any potential hazards you find during the inspection.
After the workplace inspection:
- EHS created a JHSC Workplace Inspection Template which can be used. Ensure the worker inspector signs the bottom left prior to sending a copy to EHS JHSC (email@example.com).
- EHS will upload the report to the applicable JHSC SharePoint folder and a copy will be shared with applicable JHSC members.
- Each JHSC has an established process for follow up after the inspection report is submitted. If you have any questions regarding the process, please contact your JHSC’s co-chairs for more information.
If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact EHS JHSC (firstname.lastname@example.org).