2.1 Waste Generator and Department:
- Preplanning experiments to include the provision for handling of hazardous waste as a result of the work.
- Classifying hazardous waste as chemical, radioactive, biohazardous or sharps. Assistance can be obtained from the Environmental Protection Services.
- Reducing wastes generated. Devising new laboratory methods, ordering less product as necessary, all contribute to fewer wastes being generated.
- Complying with the University’s labelling, packaging and storage procedures.
- Segregating incompatible and other waste types as required.
- Arranging to decommission areas no longer producing hazardous wastes.
2.2 Environmental Protection Services
- Removing waste from a generator’s building (where applicable) in a safe and timely manner.
- Advising waste generators of appropriate safety and disposal procedures.
- Regulatory liaison on behalf of the University.
- Coordinating with external contractors to ensure proper recycling and/or disposal of hazardous wastes.